Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Boring Update

Last week was a cluster of appointments. Mae had her blood draw on Wednesday, a pediatrician appointment on Thursday and the geneticist on Friday. On Thursday we discovered Mae is still on the typical growth chart, though barely. This is a great sign that her thyroid dip wasn't too big a problem. Her weight is in a higher percentile than her height, but because we are so careful with her diet, we don't have anything to worry about. There was a vaccine, and she lost her mind for the very first time, so that was new and exciting. Her pediatrician said that socially and emotionally Mariana is developing typically. There are some things that put her a little behind, but that can be environmental because she is the youngest sibling. As the youngest sibling in my family I take offense. I mean really!

Friday we had the pleasure of MG's company because her mama had a baby on Thursday. MG is 18 months old. She and Mae have similar hair, are about the same height and have similar behaviors. Scott and I took MG, Mae and Little Guy to the geneticist, Dr. P's office. We were such a funny sight, I am sure. I had Little Guy in the Ergo, MG in the stroller and Scott carried Mariana. They all behaved beautifully. Mae had her show off moment with Dr. P. I asked her, "How old are you?" We had been practicing that question a lot.
"Tee!" she exclaimed.
"No Mae, how old are you?" I asked again.
"Tooo!" she told Dr. P.

Dr. P. also confirmed that socially and emotionally she is on target for a typically developing child. He also encouraged us to look into fully integrating her in a normal classroom. Admittedly this is something I struggle with. I want her to be able to keep up with her typical peers, but I also want her to accomplish academic success in her time with reasonable expectations. Because we will be feeling our way through this. I truly want what is best for Mae and unfortunately the experience others have had isn't necessarily going to be helpful. Mae seems to fall between what typically works for kids with Ds and what works for a typically developing child.

Both Dr. P and the pediatrician, Dr. M. impressed upon us the need for the assertion of authority with no give. They explained that Mae is carving neuropathways that will be with her forever. Even if we break habits down the road, those pathways will be sort-of a "default" position she would fall back on in stressful times. They were clear that we are not to be angry or punishing, but that strict and consistent authority is a must. Everything we expect of the older kids about cleaning up and behavior we must expect of her. Of course she will need help and patience in following through, but we have to require her to follow through. It's exhausting just thinking about it, but I've seen results already. She prays with us at mealtimes, she climbs in and out of her carseat when Little Guy isn't already in the car. (I don't want her to climb over him because she's rough on him.) She has to walk into the house and to the car. I'm adding responsibility as we go along, but she's responding pretty well. We have *knockonwood* had fewer tantrums actually, and more verbalization. I expect the tantrums will come in cycles, and we are just in a good phase, but I'm enjoying the heck out of it!

The next few months I am trying to build up my courage to focus on potty training. If I want her to go to fully integrated Pre K 3,  she will have to be fully potty trained. *sigh* I am fine with fooling around with it, but it's going to be months of work, and I'm not looking forward to spending all day going potty every 30 minutes for months on end. Pray for me!

1 comment:

  1. Maybe I should start thinking about potty training lil' Aaron?
    I pray for you because your amount of 'go' and appointments makes me tired for you :) You are an awesome mom/friend/etc...

    ReplyDelete